The position is part of the Colombo-based Implementation Team (the Team) which will be responsible for: (i) defining and implementing the intervention strategy; (ii) overall project coordination, and stakeholders information and consultation; (iii) the implementation of the communication and visibility strategy, and the M&E system; and (iv) the administrative and financial management of the project.
The Sustainable Finance (SF) specialist will be part of the GPDF team based in Colombo. She/he will take the lead in the implementation of all activities directly related to supporting Sri Lankan Financial Institutions in increasing the accessibility and availability of sustainable finance.
Indicative tasks to be carried out would include:
- Provide leadership and substantive inputs on sustainable financing across all GPDF activities.
- Proactively advise and identify activities to achieve GPDF objectives and lead their implementation (e.g. gap analysis, trainings, support to the structuration and commercialisation of financial products and operations, policy reforms, etc.).
- Manage, supervise and coordinate the work of related short-term experts and service providers.
- Serve as the focal point on sustainable financing issues for GPDF and for financial sector stakeholders and organise dialogue platforms with public and private stakeholders.
- Engage with senior national government officials and other public policy stakeholders, as long as in the Finance Industry and the private sector on financing issues and provide advices.
- Engage with senior management in the Banking Industry and
- Carry out/monitor the implementation of advocacy and awareness raising activities advocating for a transition towards impact investment.
- Communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders in the finance sector on green economy concepts and issues.
- Facilitating the transmission of information regarding EU policies on Sustainable finance.
- And any other related activities.
- Participate in the development of GPDF’s work plan.
- Support the overall policy dialogue implemented by GPDF and organise knowledge-sharing roundtables on selected topics.
- Develop innovative methods to inform stakeholders on sustainable financing know-how and practices.
- Support the organisation of the project’s steering and technical committees.
- Contribute in the production of reporting reports.
- Participate in the development of other Team Europe programmes and projects on sustainable financing in Sri Lanka.
- And any other related activities.
The Green Policy Dialogue Facility (GPDF) is a four-year intervention funded by the European Union (EU). It seeks to use the current economic crisis as an opportunity to support Sri Lanka towards a more sustainable growth trajectory. The ultimate goal would entail achieving a green (and blue) economy that is circular, carbon neutral, and socially inclusive; which, not only, would be more respectful of biodiversity resources and socio-economic/demographic context, but would also provide much needed macroeconomic stability.
In this context, the facility would harness policy experiences and knowledge from the EU (e.g. the European Green Deal), along national and regional ones, to contribute to the green recovery (medium term) and transition (long term) of the Sri-Lankan economy and society.
GPDF would more specifically support the mainstreaming of green economy (GE) challenges and objectives in the Sri Lankan policy landscape, as well as the facilitation of bringing GE policy to action by contributing to the following specific objectives (SO):
- SO1: Support the development and implementation of inclusive national green, blue and sustainable public policies, with participation of women and men in all their diversity.
- SO2: Improve the business and investment climate in view of promoting an inclusive circular economy (both green and blue).
- SO3: Increase accessibility and availability to green and sustainable finance.
The primary direct beneficiaries of the project will be the public institutions particularly, the Ministry of Environment and the Ministry of Finance as well as government institutions focused on SMEs. Other direct beneficiaries include the private sector, financial institutions, and civil society.
Specifically on S03, GPDF will:
- Conduct an assessment of the current framework on sustainable and green finance defined by existing policy instruments, like Central Bank of Sri Lanka’s (CBSL) Sustainable Finance Roadmap and the Green Taxonomy, and of its level of and gaps to its implementation.
- Identification of challenges faced by IGE SMEs to access funding and investment.
- Design and develop specific technical assistance to cover these gaps, especially to strengthen the implementation of the sustainable finance policy framework with focus on enhancing the awareness, knowledge and skills of Financial Institutions (FI) and banks with regards to sustainable finance.
- Support the structuring of Green Finance operations (bonds issuance, credit line, equity investments) with the Government / Central bank and/or local FI and enterprises.
- Enhance coordination among EDFIs, as well as support the development of their future activities directed towards Sri Lanka.
The Green Policy Dialogue Facility is the first bilateral project to be implemented by Expertise France in Sri Lanka.
Bachelors’ degree in Finance, Development Economics, Business Administration, Environment, Engineering or equivalent. Any other profile in line with the tasks to be performed can also be considered.
Further training in sustainable finance would be desirable.
A Master’s degree would be an asset.
- At least 6 years of overall experience in the following fields: banking, finance, insurance and sustainable development.
- At least 2 years of experience in structuring sustainable finance products and operations (bonds issuance, credit lines, equity investments, etc.).
- Experience in engaging with senior management (public sector, finance industry and/or private sector) to advocate for the development of ESG/impact investment strategies and operations.
- Experience working with developing countries and emerging markets would be a strong asset.
- Experience working with micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) would be a strong asset.
- Experience conducting capacity building/training activities on Sustainable Finance would be a strong asset.
- Experience working with a development bank and/or agency in the development and/or implementation of international bilateral or multilateral cooperation projects would be an asset.
Qualification and skills
- Excellent knowledge of the EU Sustainable Finance Strategy, Green Financing Taxonomy and related policies.
- Knowledge of Sri Lanka, South Asia, or experience in similar contexts would be an asset.
- Full professional proficiency in English is mandatory.
- Full professional working proficiency in Sinhala and/or Tamil is considered an asset.
- Professional working proficiency in French is an asset.
- Strong teamwork skills, initiative, organizational skills and autonomy.
- Ability to communicate well and reach out, both verbally and in writing, with a wide range of stakeholders including with high level policy makers.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Rigor and ability to write in a clear, precise and concise manner.
- Personal qualities: analytical and conceptual skills, independent and objective thinking, strong interpersonal skills (e.g. discretion, empathy, inclusiveness, and sensitivity), high personal integrity and professionalism, good organisational and coordination skills.
- Results and solution-oriented.
- Strong ability to build, foster and maintain relationships and partnerships.
Form of contract:
- For Sri Lankan candidates: Wage portage.
- For non Sri Lankan candidates: French law employment contract (CDDU).
Estimated start date: 01/11/2023.
Remuneration: based on profile.
Localisation: Expertise France’s offices at the centre of Colombo
Deadline to apply: 09/07/2023 – 11:59 pm (Paris time). Expertise France reserves the right to select a candidate before this date.
To apply, please send your resume (max. 5 pages) and cover letter (max. 2 pages) via the link below.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Date limite de candidature : 17/07/2023 10:36