To support the implementation of the “Sustainable Cities” project, Expertise France is looking for a Project Manager. Under the responsibility of the Head of Urban Development and Circular Economy Unit of Expertise France, the Project Manager will be responsible for the overall coordination of the project and the management of the project unit based in two offices in Accra and Tamale.
The project unit will be managed by the Project Leader and composed of on-site support and transversal functions dedicated to the project: deputy project Manager, logistics officer, administration and finance Leader, accounting and finance assistants, logistics and security officer, drivers.
The key responsibilities of the Project Manager include the following:
Strategic and operational project steering
- Provide dynamic, strategic leadership, vision and direction to the Project
- Define the strategic and operational orientations of the project: carry out the technical and budgetary planning of the programme in cooperation with the Project Steering Committee
- Ensure implementation and follow-up in line with the Project’s objectives and be responsible for meeting the targets set forth in the logframe and delivery of annual reports and work plans
- Guarantee the efficient implementation of the project: the activities are performed and the deliverables are delivered in time and with respect to associated budget
- Supervise the budgetary and accounting management of the project in line with the requirements of Expertise France and of the European Union
- In collaboration with the Deputy Project Leader, identify the needs for short and long term expertise/ assignments within the available budget, planning and steering the assignments, and support for the local and international long and short-term experts
- Support the team in the framing of ad hoc expertise assignments and ensure technical quality control of all deliverables in conjunction with the team
- Ensure project accountability and learning
- Manage the monitoring of the project in conjunction with the team and EF head office monitoring officer
Project representation and communication
- Establish, develop and maintain strong and sound relations with the project stakeholders and project beneficiaries, in the first place the Ghanaian partners and the Delegation of the European Union in Accra
- Represent the project and Expertise France towards all partners
- Take part in sector coordination activities and ensure synergies with institutional, technical partners and donors operating in Ghana (AFD, World Bank, GIZ, UN Habitat, AfDB, etc.)
- Ensure the sharing of information on the project within the AFD Group (geographical coordinator of Expertise France, local AFD agency) and with the French Embassy in Ghana
- Supervise the design and finalization of the communication plan and MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning) strategy, and coordinate the corresponding activities
- Publicize the project and promote the results, with the support of EF communication unit and in collaboration with the European Union and partners concerned
- Foster synergies with other projects implemented by EF if deemed relevant.
Administrative and financial management
- Contribute to the development and updating of project management tools and procedures and ensure their proper application
- Ensure compliance with the procedures required by Expertise France and the EU (eligibility rules for expenses, purchases, contracts, grants, reports etc.)
- Supervise the internal financial reporting of Expertise France (financial monitoring, forecasts and budget closures) and the external budgetary reporting to the donor
- Coordinate and participate to the elaboration of technical and financial activity reports in collaboration with the project team.
Project team management
- Coordinate and manage the all team: contribute to the recruitment of project team members, define the operational objectives of each team member, organize workload and work plans, set up regular team meetings, etc.
- Support the creation and provide inputs to organisational tools (RACI chart, on-site team organization plans across key events, etc.) and oversee their use
- Manage and follow-up the Tamale Project Office
- Ensure that the safety procedures are implemented and complied with, in coordination with EF Safety Department
- Ensure proper administrative management of the staff
- Ensure dynamic and positive work atmosphere.
With a total population of 30.4 million people in 2019 and more than 55% living in cities, Ghana has a dense network of urban areas mostly concentrated along the Atlantic coast and in the Ashanti Region. The country is halfway through urbanisation, and has benefited from an urban economic network more advanced than other countries in West Africa. While the first period of urbanisation has generated job creation and opportunities, improved living conditions and reduced poverty for many Ghanaians, the country now faces the challenges of economic efficiency and social inclusion within its urban areas, where globally basic services are still lacking. In addition, unplanned spatial expansion of urban and metropolitan areas and their limited connectivity within and across Ghana’s cities is a challenge, increasing social and environmental costs, unequal and inadequate access to basic services, health risks and ecological damages.
To address these challenges, an integrated programme is proposed by the European Union to meet demands in infrastructures and services by working both on the institutional and legislative framework at central level, and on the urban growth at local level.
As a second largest technical cooperation agency in Europe, Expertise France (EF) has been entrusted by the EU with the design and implementation of the “Sustainable Cities – Phase 1” project. The action proposed by Expertise France will address the need for capacity building and data collection of the Ministry of Local Government, Decentralisation and Rural Development (MLGRD); at decentralised level the action will target selected Regional Capitals - Wa, Damongo, Nalerigu, Bolgatanga, Tamale – and the secondary city of Yendi.
The Sustainable Cities in Ghana – Phase 1 is funded by the European Union (EU) to support both national and local authorities enhancing sustainable cities in Ghana. The project will support the development of more sustainable and inclusive cities, with a particular focus on 6 cities of the Northern regions during 48 months.
The Overall Objective of this action is to improve urban prosperity for all.
The Specific Objectives of this action are to:
- Improve governance and implementation of urban policies
- Increase accessibility to quality urban services and accountability of local authorities
In order to achieve this objectives, EF will pursue the following actions:
- Encourage coordination mechanisms between local and national authorities: strengthening capacities, setting up of an urban observatory, inclusion of climate change and inclusivity issues in the urban policies, peer-to-peer dialogue etc. ;
- Structurally improve urban governance by strengthening the capacity of central and local governments to coordinate, design and implement urban policies, planning and regulation ;
- Enhancing and building the technical capacities of local authorities and promoting participatory approach;
- Supporting local authorities in planning and implementation process to improve water, sanitation and waste management services in the 6 cities of the project.
Education / qualification
- Master’s degree in international development, urban planning, sustainable development, environment or any other relevant discipline
- Fluent in spoken and written English and French
- Computer literacy and IT savviness: text processing tools, spread sheet tools, financial and planning tools.
- A minimum of 15 years of working experience in urban planning / sustainable development; experience in Sub-Saharan Africa will be an asset;
- At least 5 years directly managing staffs and project teams;
- Proven experience coordinating, managing and leading complex projects, international teams in donor funded projects, for at least 2 projects
- Demonstrated experience in international projects implementation and a strong track record of EU-funded projects’ management
- Strong technical expertise in urban development issues
- Demonstrated experience in institutional capacity-building related to urban development
Additional specific requirements
- Demonstrated management experiences in a multicultural environment
- Proven skills in negotiation, listening, setting priorities, problem-solving and decision-making, in particular in interactions with the EU and its network, diplomatic delegations and other external partners
- A strong sense of organisation, rigour and autonomy is required
- Excellent communication skills: diplomacy and communication with private or public partners, local and international
- Ability to analyze, design and deliver a context-specific solution
- Excellent analytical and reporting skills
- Strong ability to evolve in a political and sensitive environment
- Experience working in Ghana or Gulf of Guinea region will be an asset
- Project start date: January 2024
- Desired start date: January 2024
Documents to be provided
- A CV
- A cover letter
- Three business references including email and telephone contacts
The selection process will be conducted in two phases:
- First, a short list will be drawn up freely by Expertise France
- Second, selected candidates may be invited to one or more interviews
Date limite de candidature : 29/02/2024 11:35